Why Volunteer in Kingston?
Volunteers are an integral part of the operation and development of unique interactive exhibits and functions of the PumpHouse. Our many volunteers who help out at the museum feel motivated for a variety of different reasons from a sense of community development, interest in the museum, specific interests in a part of the museum or through a need to socialize with other volunteers and to give back to the community.
The following volunteer positions are available at the museum:
- Model Railway Operator: To operate and interpret the model electric railway layouts located in the model railway exhibit at the Museum.
- Model Railway Technician: To maintain, improve and operate the model electric railway layouts located in the model railway exhibit at the Museum.
- Researcher: To research topics relating to the PumpHouse, its collections, and exhibitions as directed by the Curator.
- Exhibition Preparator: Assist with the installation and/or takedown of museum exhibitions.
How to Volunteer
Print the Museum Volunteer Registration form (PDF) and complete it.
Return application either by:
Cultural Services Department
216 Ontario Street
E-mail: email@example.com for an application form or to receive further information.
In person: Front desk of the PumpHouse (May – November) during opening hours.
Following receipt of the volunteer application form staff from the museum will contact you to set up a time for an informal meeting about your interest and to tour the museum.
If the volunteer applicant decides that volunteering at the museum is something they would like to do and they are a good fit for the museum an official volunteer registration will be completed. The registration includes:
- General information and references
- Police Background Check (CPIC)
- Confidentiality statement
- Code of conduct statement
- Liability waiver
- Volunteer Handbook
- Training as necessary
Following successful completion of the forms and appropriate checks have been completed that Curator of the museum will inform the volunteer applicant of their decision.